GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)

queen olga__3_efiveionJUVENILE REFORM INSTITUTION – "EFIVION AVEROF"

Another sector in need of development was the reform institutions. There was a lack of boarding facilities and the rehabilitation standards were poor. Because of this, the prisoners could not be segregated on the basis of their offenses, and long-term convicts who had committed terrible crime were being detained in the same premises as young offenders.

In order to protect juvenile detainees and to aid them in their forthcoming societal reintegration, Queen Olga founded the "Brotherhood in Christ" in 1891. Its aim was to find the resources to build a juvenile reform institution in which only juvenile offenders would be detained, protected and rehabilitated.

In celebration of their Majesties Silver Jubilee wedding anniversary (1892) , Georgios Averof, offered as a gift to the couple 375,000 drachmas which he deposited to the "Brotherhood in Christ" fund at the request of the Queen, in order to build the "Efivion" (Juvenile reform institution)

The construction of the "Efivion" was completed in 1896, and was named after Averof. It was subsequently donated by the "Brotherhood in Christ" to the Greek state.

Within the "Efivion Averof" there were educational classes, in order for juvenile offenders to learn a craft as well as athletic premises.

To solve the problem which was created when the inmates came of age, but still had a remainder of their sentence to serve, Queen Olga ordered the construction of a new building, behind the "Efivion". The cost of construction was undertaken by her cousin Tsar Nicholas II.

From 1916 onwards the "Efivion" gradually became a prison for political and military prisoners and as it was later used as a place of torture under the German occupation. Because of its location and due to the negative connotation attached, the "Efivion" was demolished in 1972. In its place now stands the Supreme Court.